Limone owes its importance to the ancient Monte Cornio pass, the Colle of Tenda, always privileged communication way between the Riviera, the Côte d'Azur and Piemonte, hence the nickname "Mountain of two Rivieras".
The etymology of the name is controversial: some derives from the Provencal "li mount" The mountains; according to others derives from the ancient greek "Leimon" and with more likelihood grassy spot, region rich pastures.
A story that goes far away in time, as witnessed in the area by graffiti in Valley of Meraviglie and of Valmasca. With the coming of the Romans, the country became part of the Province Alpium Maritimarum. The population obtained Roman citizenship and was joined at City Hall Pedona (Current Borgo San Dalmazzo).
They improved communications with France (then Gaul) opened several roads including the Via Imperia that from Roccavione goes to Monte Cornio (Tenda) from which descended to Porto Maurizio with the name of Via Marenga(seaward).
Then there were reports of Limone under the County Bredulo (at Mondovi Breo) and later under the bishops of Asti.
Soon after, however, the Saracens descended into the valleys putting fire to the different countries and forcing the inhabitants to flee to the mountains. The survivors of Limone settled between Limonetto and Collette to better defend against enemy attacks.
An easier route and a busy railway line which make it easily accessible from the town of Po Valley, Liguria and the south of France. Born as a holiday center and summer resort in the late nineteenth century, was already at the beginning of the twentieth century, one of the first Italian places where they spread the winter sports .
The geographical position makes it a year-round destination, thanks to a mild alpine climate that is affected by the proximity of the sea.
The old town lively and welcoming, the surroundings equipped for outdoor sports, walks and routes in natural parks Italian and French are the components of a peaceful and relaxing holiday, but there are also opportunities for fun.
At the height of tourist season wide pedestrian area can easily follow the main road and enter the picturesque streets of the country, free from the encumbrance of passage and automobiles, welcomed in parking lots located at strategic points, on the edge of or close to the access to ski lifts.
Fountain four mouths in the square of the parish was built in 1510 and bears the signature of a Con. Sormanus de Como, the bust of St. Peter is newer.
On the sundial House Canonica it was written the couplet:
Afflictis lentae Celeres revelers bus horae
- For those afflicted times are slow, while passing quickly for those who rejoice
In the 28 February 1787 Thomas Jefferson entered on a journey that will lead him in southern France and northern Italy to the discovery of nature, architecture, art, lifestyles of these regions, the best known agricultural products (wine , rice etc.) and the techniques used by local farmers to optimize production and quality of crops.
During his trip he kept a diary in which he noted the descriptions of the places he crossed and his impressions and its comments on the excellent technical cultivation used that could be exported to its country of origin, the nascent United States of America.
The diary was later published the same year under the title:“ Viaggio nel Sud della Francia e nel Nord dell’Italia”,title "Memorandums taken on a journey from Paris into the southern parts of France and Northern Italy, in the year 1787".
Thomas Jefferson later became the third President of the United States, his tenure lasted from 1801 to 1809.
In his itinerary Jefferson went from Nice to the province of Cuneo through the Escarène, Sospel and then going up the valley Roya up to Limone April 15, 1787, describing it in his journal with these words:
"By Limone I noticed an abundance of limestone wherever the ground is free of snow, that is up to half an hour or three quarters of an hour's walk from the top. The snow falls far below the eastern side than the western one. Wherever there is land, there is wheat, even until the beginning of the snow and, I suppose, even below. In arid parts are double-needle pines, lavender and thyme."
From these few lines you can feel the great spirit of observation of the author that captures the details of the territory that crosses writing it down in detail.
Giovan Battista Arnaudo - novelist and critic
A plaque on the facade of his house remembers.
Lawyer and Mayor of Cuneo until December 1925.
Founder in Lyon to an internationally boarding school
Distinguished magistrate and president of the Royal Consulate of Turin.
Giovan Battista Bottero
Founder and director of "Gazzetta del Popolo", remembered by a plaque on the facade of City Hall.
Illustrious chief physician of the House of Savoy-Carignano.
Prof. Antonio Marro
Psychiatrist and internationally renowned sociologist, director of the Provincial Lunatic Asylum in Turin. Limone made for him a monument in the gardens of San Sebastian.
Prof. John Marro
Paleontologist and anthropologist world-renowned professor at the University of Turin and senator of the Kingdom of Italy.
Dr. Edward Meccio [/ nt]
Who sacrificed himself in an attempt to avert the terrible disaster of dynamite Avigliana.
Eminent lawyer in the service of the city of Cuneo, appointed Vicar of Mondovi by Duke Emanuele Filiberto 20 September 1571.
Card. Antonio Riberi
Born in Monte Carlo 15 June 1897, he made the elementary school in Limone; Cuneo entered the seminary and was ordained priest; followed the ecclesiastical career until June 28, 1967 Pope Paul VI appointed him cardinal. He died in Rome on Dec. 16, 1967.
Lawyer, deputy and senator of the Kingdom, warm advocate of the tunnel tent, is commemorated by a monument at the palace school.
Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Turin.
Famous botanist, he composed Flora Limone in which are treated more than 1500 species of herbs and flowers.
Governor of the city of Palermo.
Lieutenant of the Alpini Battalion Tirano, decorated with a silver medal for military valor. Limone He dedicated a street.